Submission Guidelines for Streams of Consciousness
Streams of Consciousness is currently closed to new submissions.
Who Can Submit
Submissions are open to students in the School of Medicine, Graduate School of Nursing, and Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, as well as residents, faculty, patients and other members of the UMass Chan Medical School and UMass Memorial Health community.
General Submission Rules
Any information in your submission that can compromise confidentiality should be removed, as per HIPAA guidelines.
Works that have previously been published elsewhere will be considered. You must include information about prior publication in the cover letter that you supply as part of the submission process.
Each piece submitted will undergo the editorial decision process. Streams of Consciousness is not under any obligation to publish submitted content. We will send you notices of progress in the selection process via the email address you have provided.
Submission Types and Formatting Requirements
Photography submissions should be submitted as .jpg files. A maximum of 5 photographs (1 per document page) may be submitted in one publication cycle.
Poetry and Prose submissions should be submitted in either .doc or .docx format with page numbers in the lower right footer. Text should be in Times New Roman, font size 12, and single-spaced. The title should be in Times New Roman, font size 14, bold, and centered, followed by a double space and the author name(s). A single poetry submission should not exceed 5 pages. Up to 10 pages of written material can be submitted in one publication cycle.
Prepare a cover letter as a separate file. This information will be entered in the "Comments to the Editor" field on the submission form. The cover letter should include the following:
- Title of submission
- Author(s) with each author's institutional affiliation and highest academic degree or professional certification
- Name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address of the author responsible for correspondence
- Clearly state the purpose of the submission and its expected contribution
- Funding statements and/or other acknowledgments
- Any previous presentation or publication of this content
Before you begin the online submission process, please be sure you have the following items ready:
- The submission's title
- Names, affiliations, and email addresses of all authors
- A brief description or abstract describing your submission
- A list of keywords
- Submission in one of the following formats: Microsoft Word (for prose and poetry) or JPG (for photography).
- Prepare a separate cover letter to introduce your submission to the Editor(s), as described in the section above